Harold Sandford: Watercolors
December 20, 2023 - March 23, 2024
In the summer of 2018, a diverse array of creatures, from the small to very small, took up residence on the Sibley Hall walls. All the birds, reptiles, and insects were from our local environment, and all came courtesy of Harold Sandford’s camera lens.
Harold, a Renaissance man about town, has returned to populate the Sibley walls with more flora and exotic fauna. This time, however, his recording device of choice is a set of watercolors and brushes.
Harold is a retired organic chemist with a background in the microelectronics and medical industries. Since childhood, he has been interested in art and has dabbled in multiple media and styles. Several adult education classes and multiple figure drawing classes at the de Cordova Museum School account for his training. Watercolor painting and nature photography have become his dual passions. His extensive world traveling offers subject matter to explore in both mediums.
Harold has been featured in two previous shows at the GPL and another at the Groton Center.
Generously supported by the Groton Public Library Endowment Trust.
Exhibition Photo Gallery
The Owen Smith Shuman Art Gallery exhibits several shows each year, featuring artists from Groton and area communities, in both solo and group shows.
Guidelines for Submitting Artwork / Exhibition Proposals
The Owen Smith Shuman Gallery of the Groton Public Library accepts submissions for art exhibits on a rolling basis. The Curator is responsible for selecting art for exhibits. In general, preference is given to group shows over solo exhibits and to local artists in Groton and surrounding communities
About the Venue
The Owen Smith Shuman Gallery is a beautiful, well-lit gallery that is supported by the Groton Public Library Endowment Trust and is an integral part of the local art scene. The Endowment provides for receptions, publicity, and a curator. Artists should carry their own insurance as the gallery does not have insurance for exhibited works.
• Submit 16-20 slides or digital images with the artist’s name and the title of the image on the slide. A CD or USB submission must have the artist name on it as well as a separate document listing the titles, media, and size of each piece.
• A complete proposal should contain: your images, a current resumé, list of images (with titles, media, and size), and an artist’s statement.
• Please submit an appropriately stamped envelope for return of your materials, if desired.
• If you are submitting digital images, you may email all of the above.
• Artists may include a link to their websites, but that does not replace a submission proposal.
• Optional: a small stipend is available for an artist’s talk. If interested, submit a description of your talk and list public speaking experience on your resumé.
• Work submitted must be appropriately framed with eye hooks and wire on the back. Any exceptions to this rule should be submitted to the curator for approval.
Sales of Work
The Gallery requests a 10% donation to the Groton Public Library Endowment Trust for all work sold.
Ken Hansen, Gallery Curator, email@example.com
Groton Public Library 99 Main Street, Groton, MA 01450