1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a national program that promotes reading together with your child. The more words and books a child is exposed to in their early years, the more likely they are to love reading! This program is designed to help parents prepare their children for one of life’s big milestones: kindergarten. Sign up children ages birth to kindergarten and receive a FREE 1,000 Books Activity Journal and book bag! Give your Child the Gift of Reading!
Resources generously provided by the GPL Endowment Trust.
Recommended Books and Media
Children's Room librarians are always happy to recommend books for children. Here are some great websites that can also help you find award-winning books and media for children of all ages and interests.
- Horn Book Online – Reviews of the latest youth literature
- Newbery Medal and Honor Books – from the American Library Association
- Caldecott Medal Winners – from the American Library Association
- Coretta Scott King Book Awards – from the American Library Association
- American Library Association's Children's Notable Lists – books, recordings, videos, interactive software
- Common Sense Media - Rates movies, TV shows, books, and more so parents can feel good about the entertainment choices they make for their kids.
- NPR Book Recommendations – Recent reviews and recommendations of Children’s Literature